Construction should begin in September on a $40.6 million FedEx Ground distribution center on Lakeshore Parkway that is expected to create 285 full- and part-time jobs within three years of its completion.
The 300,000-square-foot building will sit on a 46-acre site that is mostly situated in Birmingham and partially in Bessemer.
The project is expected to be completed by June 2021.
The cities of Birmingham and Bessemer and Jefferson County government, along with the Birmingham Business Alliance, have been working on the project for some time, details of which were announced today. The site is currently owned by U.S. Steel Corp., and 94 percent of the facility will be located in Birmingham, with the remaining 6 percent, which includes office operations, a parking lot and an access road, in Bessemer.